Sometimes the holiday season comes with unexpected presents like getting sick. Though researchers have not found any concrete evidence of cold temperatures lowering immunity, being indoors too often can leave you more susceptible to illness. Being in confined spaces for long periods of time means you’re more susceptible to someone else’s germs. Furthermore, some viruses live longer during the cold, but reproduce more in warm and moist areas (like a cozy home packed with people). So, while your cold may not be the work of Jack Frost, there’s still reason to boost your immunity during the winter months. Holiday shopping, even online, can be difficult when you’re going through tissue boxes like it’s an Olympic sport.
One way you can help your immune system is by trying out our Mushroom Immune Defense Winter Berry Smoothie! It’s packed with antioxidants and vitamins that can improve your immunity in the winter months. Also – it tastes delicious!
Alright, so one amazing smoothie won’t be a magical potion to ward off the unwelcome holiday presents. Here are some practical things you can try out though.
Upgrade Your Nutrition!
This might seem a little obvious, but nutrition is absolutely key in improving your immunity. There are a few food factors that play a role in this process:
– Vitamins: Three vitamins in particular are crucial for immunity. First off: Vitamin C. I bet you knew that one already, but it helps regulate several processes in the body from building tissue for blood vessels and cartilage, to helping your body heal. Second, Vitamin B6. This one supports biochemical reactions in the immune system so that it can function properly. Lastly, Vitamin E. This one is a powerful antioxidant and helps your body fight off infections.
– Foods containing Vitamin C: Citrus fruits, berries, bell peppers, potatoes, and leafy greens.
– Foods containing Vitamin B6: Chicken, salmon, tuna, chickpeas, and green veggies.
– Foods containing Vitamin E: Nuts, seeds, and spinach.
– Prebiotics: Keeping your gut bacteria healthy helps your body fight off infection. Make sure to keep the good bacteria healthy by consuming foods rich in fiber, specifically inulin fiber. You can find this in:
– Green bananas
– Jicama root
– And artichokes
– Antioxidants: These guys are immunity superstars. They help protect your cells from oxidative stress caused by free radicals. This keeps your cells healthy and helps build a strong immune system. You can find antioxidants in:
– And generally colorful fruits and veggies!
Get in a Workout!
Exercise and nutrition work in harmony to improve overall health. This is a wellness truth. Regular exercise can help improve your immunity, mood, energy levels, focus, and sleep. You don’t have to start marathon training either. Shoot for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise every day, even if it’s just going for a brisk walk on a treadmill. For best results though, try combining strength training and cardio into your exercise routine.
Make Rest a Priority
This isn’t just for beauty sleep. Research shows that lack of proper sleep decreases immunity. Those who do not get enough hours of quality sleep are more likely to get sick and take longer to recover from illness.
You see, during sleep your body releases a protein called cytokines. Some of these need to increase when you have an infection or inflammation, or when you’re feeling stressed out. When you don’t get enough sleep, the production of these is lower. That makes it more difficult to fight off infections. Also, when sleep deprived your body produces less antibodies and cells that help protect you from illness.
Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep every night to keep your immune system working properly!
Many things go into helping our immune systems stay strong and healthy. Three of the biggest lifestyle changes we can do to help it though are improving our nutrition, getting regular exercise, and prioritizing sleep and rest. Health is about leading a lifestyle that helps build optimal performance.
Now, we can’t offer you a Zumba class or a doctor’s note for prescribed nap time, but we can help out with nutrition! We offer three different meal plans designed to improve your overall health; reducing inflammation, increasing immunity, and rebalancing your gut health. However, if you’re just looking to see what our services taste like, we encourage you to download our free Fran’s Kitchen Nutrition Recipe eBook. This offers 12 recipes which display the nutritious and delicious meals we deliver our clients!
Of course, we understand that changing your lifestyle may not be an easy feat. That’s why we are here for you. It’s our mission to guide and support you through every step of your health journey. Whether your goal is to eat healthier, boost your immune system, or transform your health – we are here for you. If you have any questions or would like to know more about nutrition and meal planning, feel free to contact us through social media [Links to social]. You can also reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Whatever your goals are, you are part of the FK family. We’re always here for family.
Let us know in the comments what are some ways you boost your health during this holiday season!